Friday, May 21, 2010

Modern Art.

Art.
What is art?
If I could do one thing, no matter what it was, I would...

... not go back in time and ask someone what they thought 200 years ago.
No, I would go back and thank the man who invented indoor plumbing.
But I really would like to know what someone's definition of the word was 200 years ago.

I have trouble believing modern art is real art. I really do. I mean, I know it takes work and everything... but do we really want people looking back at this time period thinking, "A big paper clip? I can get one of those at the Office Max. I don't need to pay my whole salary to get one."
I mean look back in time for a second. Did Leonardo Di Vinci paint swirly lines or masterpieces who's legacy's still live on today?
Just look at it! You can't even see the brush strokes! It's like he finger-painted the whole thing! But of course, that technique has never been mastered :( 
Now look at this...

This really does look finger-painted. And it also proves my point above. The one where I said no one has mastered it? Yeah that still stands true in my opinion.
I just don't think that it takes all that much talent.
The reason is because I don't enjoy looking at it. It doesn't give me a sense of awe. When I look at a painting or a drawing where the detail is incredible and the craftsmanship is breathtaking I get an aesthetic feeling inside. It's a little tingly with a small sense of "Wowzers."

To be quite honest I don't like modern art at all.

That is of course...unless I get the tingly feeling.

I do so enjoy that feeling.

2 comments: